Rebranding – Regeneration not Refrigeration
Recently having had endless episodes of Dr Who inflicted on me, not a cosy Saturday afternoon chic flick or thriller, but hours of tin buckets on wheels and men in shiny metallic jump suits, it struck me – from behind the sofa, that regeneration is essential.
Dr Who has been running for 50 years give or take… How many other TV series can claim such a record?
Other than the soaps of course and you cant put Dr Who in that bracket…. All our childhood favourites have faded into white noise because programming needs to be kept on trend and relevant to the target audience. Not only does that target audience grow up and out so fast but their actual desires have changed from the real plastic lego to the iPad and software like Minecraft (is that still current?).
The secret of Dr Who is in the rebranding (regeneration), not just the ever increasing special effects, but new personalities (and now gender) constantly being injected and so rejuvenating the programme. The viewers cant get complacent for too long because as soon as they have just accepted the new Dr, he/she changes and it all starts over again! I cried when David Tennant left, and I so miss Tom Baker!
However, moving on, we will see ‘who’ and what Jodie Whittaker will be doing this time, the expectations and suspense created is the driving force for the shows popularity!
Can you keep such momentum in your business?
Big Brands do it all the time, new products, new temptations … and new stimulus!
Rebranding is continual, never letting time stand still and constantly re-inventing the wheel – almost! Time travel isn’t only for the Time Lords,
10 reasons why and when it is important to refresh and rebrand…
- Like having a new Dr takeover, you discover a new direction to take or a new employee joins with new ideas
- Your competitors have done it and you really don’t want to be left behind
- Your web site is in a time warp and really needs to be updated
- Your competitors keep appearing all over social media
- The company logo was designed in 60’s and you are still hoping for a revival
- You realise you have never changed the logo but have changed web site and it shows!
- You have refined your niche and want to appeal to those new customers
- You realise your marketing seems to be heading for the black hole
- You find yourself networking with different people
- Happily your turnover has increased
Rebranding will inject more energy and interest in your business not only from your customers but from within your company.
Being proud and excited about a new look generates your own enthusiasm and verve which is communicated to everyone you meet.
Don’t let your business freeze over, keep an element of suspense or expectation with new products or new services.
Make sure your branding is still relevant and make adjustments or rebrand to re-establish your place in the right market place attracting the right customers.
Unlike Dr Who we cant go back in time but we can move with it!